Sunday, December 20, 2009

Holt Family Does Alaska 2009.

This post has been a very long time in the making. I have been trying to get a Holt Family website up and running, but I don't think I am computer savvy enough to get it just how I want it. So, to those of you that have been awaiting the pictures of the most exhausting vacation ever, here they are:

So excited to see one another!
Tyson was actually working at the airport when they arrived, thank goodness, because they landed early and I was not all the way there when I got a text from Em stating that they had landed. Luckily I was outside once they had collected their bags.

Little did they know, this was the beginning of the most unrelaxing vacation, ever.

PS. Props to them for bringing only one bag each!
Holt kids reunite.
And I have yellow hair.


We visited the SeaLife Center before departing on a Kenai Fjords Tour.
Andy and I are slave drivers. Or maybe it is just me. But I recommended we go on this ridiculous mini-cruise out of Seward where we could possibly see whales and dolphins and seals and birds, etc. Well, the swells were at like 14 feet, people were sea sick, it was pouring rain, we were cold, the animals knew better than to show their faces in that weather, and it was pouring rain.
Rico suave!
Andy took a pic just like this and it is hilarious - I will dig it up one of these days and post it.
It was unbelievably windy out there!

At Humpy's Cove.
We stopped for dinner on Fox Island which probably would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't . . . you guessed it: pouring rain.
This was taken at midnight! We paid a visit to Lake Hood (largest float and seaplane base in the world!)
On our way to Talkeetna we saw some people fishing in Montana Creek so we pulled over and threw in a line.
I LOVE this shot of my dad on the river.
Seriously, what a beautiful summer day!
Unfortunately he did not catch anything.
And unfortunately his waders didn't fit.
We ate breakfast at The Roadhouse.
We could have fed an army with the amount of food we got!
Moose in the fireweed.
These are sideways and I am sorry. This prosthetic leg is on display at the Fairview Inn in Talkeetna. The owner/wearer climbed Mr. McKinley with prosthetics!
I've driven by Wal-Mike's what feels like 100 times.
We actually stopped and just had to laugh.
It is full of pure JUNK!

Family Christmas picture behind the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge.
Unfortunately Mt. McKinley was not visible from this side of the range.
The boys opted to go salmon fishing in Talkeetna.
Andy had so much fun that he is excited to take me back next year!



Yahtzee!
As the slave driver I drug the family on a tour of Denali National Park.
It was actually a very nice day out there, but the wildlife was lacking.
This was one of two bears that we saw.

A wolf just wandering down the road in front of us!


LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture!
Coolest moose story ever. These moose were presumably fighting when their racks got interlocked and the tine from one moose rack stabbed the other moose's eye! (Look closely and you can see it.)Pretty sweet!

The one and only Mt. McKinley.
Pretty beaver dam!
The fastest picnic I've ever been a part of.
Trying to not "habituate" the freakin' squirrels.

How fun is this? My mamasita was off berry picking.




We eventually came back from Denali and visited Pete and Judy Scorup in Palmer.
Here he is telling us all about grass.
He has quite the invention/crossbreed on his hands.
Can't beat the view from their house!
The Scorups and the Holts.
We were able to book a couple of nights at the Hotel Alyeska for the family.
I was still in school and therefore was back and forth between there and Anchorage.
We were able to meet them to go fishing at Bird Creek after they went gold panning in Girdwood.
I believe that my dad caught the only fish between all of us!
The fishing was rather frustrating that day.
And it was pouring rain.
And I told my dad not to bring his waders since we had plenty.
And none of our four pairs fit him.
And it was pouring rain.
Did I mention that all strikes were against us?
Just had to show you what "combat" fishing is . . .
We made a quick stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.
The bears are always so impressive to me!
Is this not the most precious (and heartbreaking) picture you've ever seen?
Alyssa has the biggest heart and was so sad to leave her "Alaskan siblings".
I love that she was able to smile through her tears.
Saying goodbye at the airport . . .

Honestly, I think that the rain probably drove a few of them away and they won't want to come back any time soon, BUT, they are always welcome.

And I promise to not be a slave driver.

Love,
Bri

2 comments:

Saun and Wes said...

WOW!!! Those are some great pictures! Alaska looks like a beautiful place. We're glad your family got to come see you this summer. I think they got to see the life of the Alaskans, fish, bear, moose, beaver dams, McKinley, flowers, more fish, more bear and lots more. Thanks for the post. Love you pictures.

mama said...

Wow that was some trip you put together. I hope they enjoyed Alaska as much as we do when we come up. Loved the pictures. You ARE quite the travel agent for sure.