Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Planet Earth.

I thought the last entry was getting too long, so I'm making a separate one for this. Do you ever stop to think about how incredible this world really is? Moving to Alaska has really helped me to put that into perspective.

While we were fishing in the Prince William Sound, we were able to see nature at its finest. At first we saw several eagles. Though we see them nearly everyday, they still have a beautiful confidence about them. We passed a couple of sea otters here and there. Then we heard humpback whales in the distance. They weren't jumping out of the water and making a big splash, they were just surfacing for air and making that loud blowing noise. We could see several of their spouts. Near one of the spots we were anchored, there were three salmon sharks swimming. They were so sleek and swam continuous circles (a good sign of fish in the area). We saw plenty of jellyfish swimming through the water and obviously caught several fish and shrimp. We came upon a few large rocks in the water that were home to about 50 sea lions. We successfully woke them up and were able to hear their annoying chorus (haha). As we flew through the water in the boat, groups of porpoises would play in our wake. At our final fishing hole, in the distance, I watched a mother humback whale jump completely out of the water and land on her back with a huge splash. Shortly after, her calf did the exact same thing. I kept watching that direction and the mother whale slapped her tail on the water, and you guessed it, the baby did the same thing. And finally, the mother slapped her fin on the water, and the baby copied her. There were no other boats or people around, just US. We were able to see things that few eyes ever get to see. It was absolutely breathtaking.



The only picture I was able to capture fast enough.

1 comments:

Grandpa Herb and Grandma Nay said...

Hi Bree and Andy: Enjoy your blog soooo much. G'pa and I have been to many of the areas you are describing, so know exactly what you are experiencing. Keep it up!
Love, G'ma "Nay"