Saturday, June 12, 2010

Valdez.

I think this it the last post - I finally have Memorial Day weekend all caught up! We couldn't pass up the sunny skies so we decided to drive to Valdez (see map in post below). It is relatively long drive. Or I just hate driving, I don't know. Anyway, we arrived in Valdez just after lunchtime and immediately headed to the campground to snag a spot. Not only was it only $15 for a site, there were brand new showers and they were FREE! Yay.

Had to show you one more pictures of fish wheels. Seriously, look how many there are! I am jealous. What a fun way to catch your yearly salmon.
Through Thompson Pass. This area probably gets the most snow in the entire state!
Coming through Keystone Canyon.
Bridal Veil Falls (bad lighting).
And Horsetail Falls.
Like I said, we both showered when we got to the campsite. We had originally only brought one towel because I highly doubted we would be showering on this trip. Needless to say, I ended up using a dirty shirt to dry my hair haha.
Port of Valdez. We want to take the ferry from here to anywhere via the Marine Highway. Someday!
We kept hearing gunshots from our campsite. I was nervous of bears (or crazy people). Thankfully we found the range about two miles down the road!

Valdez Glacier Lake? I have no idea. The Valdez Glacier is up and to the left (unseen in this picture.
You have to look closely, but we were throwing rocks at the ice chunks and they would break up (they sounded like pop rocks) into tons of ice crystals.

The Alaska Pipeline ends in Valdez where the oil is sent away. I liked the speed limit sign on the left.

Our coyote friend.

WHAT A STUNNING HARBOR!

Valdez trumps Seward by a lot. Too small to reside there, though.
There are several halibut derbies going on right now. We should have gone out, but didn't. Look at the fish this guy brought in!
Our campsite. The meal that nearly killed me is cooking in that firepit.
This is the last picture we got of our trip.

This is TMI, but I want to document it:
After we ate our tin foil dinners and cleaned up camp, I told Andy that I was going to be sick in the night. I hate hate hate that feeling. We went to bed (I was terribly uncomfortable) and at 4:00 am I awoke ready to vomit everywhere. Luckily I was able to get out of the tent and make it to the bathroom down the road. I was there for...awhile...and when I went to leave, I would turn right back around and go back in there. I got back to the tent feeling more sick than I ever have. Andy asked if I was okay and I told him I was better, but not 100%. For an hour and a half I tossed and turned and suddenly it hit me again. I barely made it out of the tent this time! Eww, can you imagine if I hadn't!? Sick. At that point Andy said, "We are heading home." Do you know how miserable it is to even THINK about driving home five hours when you're sick? So he packed everything up while I waited in the truck. When he got in, I got out and ran to the bushes and up came more of my dinner. For a good ten minutes. We hardly got 100' down the road when I had to pull over again. Finally we were on our way and ever 15 minutes for about three hours we pulled over to the side of the road for me. Oh it was terrible. I actually asked Andy if I might be in labor? Not because of the throwing up, but because of these crazy contractions I was having in my stomach. They were killer. NO I AM NOT PREGNANT. He gave me a blessing before we left the campsite in Valdez and eventually I stopped throwing up. The stomach ache continued, but I was able to make it from Glennallen to Anchorage without dying. Whew. Despite that nastiness, we had a great weekend!

3 comments:

Saun and Wes said...

Hey guys, great pics! I didn't know you had the same Mountain Hardware tent as I do. We love ours. Alaska is so pretty.

Anonymous said...

oh man.. sorry for your sickness.. crap-o-la that sucks! Your pictures are great.. you two look so happy!

mama said...

It's bad enough to be sick at home with a bathroom --- let alone out camping. So sorry. Love the pictures --- what beautiful country you have up there. I think I need to come back. I'd actually like to live up there for a year and try it out.
Love you both