Friday, June 18, 2010

Land of the Midnight Sun.

I spontaneously booked a flight to visit Andy this weekend in Squarebanks (aka Fairbanks aka the Land of the Midnight Sun).

Because flying 45 minutes sounded much more appealing that driving six hours.

And I could book it with miles.

And it is SOLSTICE! How exciting! Summer Soltice is probably like, the #1 holiday celebrated up North. Who wouldn't want to celebrate the longest day of the year!

The sun will rise at 2:58 a.m. on June 21, but it won’t set until 12:48 a.m. the next day.

Anywho, I got to the airport one hour and 45 mins early (way earlier than I needed to be here, but I had nothing to do at home). Just trying to be more responsible, you know, since I'm a grown up now.

My flight is delayed 50 minutes. Which means it is taking off when it was supposed to be landing in Fairbanks. Which means I am sitting here for that much longer. Grr. Good thing I have my laptop, Nalgene, and a Snickers.
- - - - -
UPDATE: I landed in Fairbanks at about 12:45 this morning. I thought I would show you how light it is right now (2:10 a.m.):
I think it is amazing! Fairbanks truly is the Land of the Midnight Sun.

I slept for the first 20 minutes of the flight and woke up close to Denali. I have flown this route so many times I've trained my body to wake up and look for the mountain. No mountain today, too cloudy. However, I documented the sun setting as I approached Fairbanks.

Beginning to see the sun in the distance.
And then it appeared out of nowhere!


Finally falling below the horizon.

Goodnight!

2 comments:

mama said...

I've always wanted to be up there on the longest day of the year --- lucky you --- AND Andy --- have a great weekend together.

Saundra said...

Way pretty! You take the best pics. And I love reading your blog. I hardly every get on, but when I do, I think, I need to read this more often. Hope you guys are doing well. love ya!
-Saun