Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Only In Alaska.

I opened my door this morning and beheld this beauty:



It might look like a big brown blob to you, but it sure looked like a moose to me!

I abruptly slammed the door and tried to regain my composure - I was seriously spooked and she couldn't have cared less. I was really hoping that I hadn't scared her away with the whole slamming the door thing, but I carefully opened the door and there she was. And yes, I dubbed it a she because it had pretty eyes haha. Anyway, we had a one sided conversation for exactly 11 minutes at which point she'd had enough and wandered away. I had to kick it into high gear to make it to my bus which, by the way, is not easy to do considering I can only cross the road on odd minutes (that's when the lights are red) and it was 7:31 and the bus comes at 7:33-7:34. I got to the road and knew there was no way I was getting across. I hightailed it up the street hoping to catch the next cross walk only to watch the bus fly by.

I was kind of laughing to myself at this point because Andy was already at work and I had no option, really, except to wait for the next bus that would come by 25 minutes later and then take another near 30 minutes to get to work (or I could have taken a taxi, but I am scared of Anchorage taxi drivers. . .make that most taxi drivers). Okay, I take that back. There are probably a couple readers of our blog that would say, "BRI! You should have called me and I would have given you a ride!"

What I did next (out of stubborness and determination) was decide to walk to work. Yep. Walked to work. Uphill. Both ways. In the dark. In the snow. By myself. For 5.72 miles according to Yahoo. It freakin' rocked. Minus the blister I have on one of my toes now.

What a way to start the morning. My goal was to get to work before the sun came up at 8:58; unfortunately I arrived at 9:08. I've totally considered doing it again (but leaving at the appropriate time to get to work by 8). Maybe next time I'll be faster! Ü

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm scared if I see a cat wandering around, so I'm pretty sure that I would poop my pants if I opened the door and saw a moose.

Hope you weren't wearing heels for work, but considering that it is Alaska you were probably wearing snow boots.

Brianna said...

Steph, funny you mention that. I was in snow boots, but terribly uncomfortable ones for walking that far. I definitely wouldn't have walked if I was in heels. I really was so scared when I saw her - like I didn't know what to do. But when she wasn't afraid I realized, Okay, maybe this isn't so bad.

Corina said...

hey! i forgot i gave you my blog address! we are way stoked to come back up to ak and play with you guys. AND CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is SO exciting that you got into PA school! i'm not going to lie, i'm pretty depressed that i have to do tours again, but maybe someday i'll have a real job!