Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mexico Trip II - Cabo

We chose to do a Mexican Riviera cruise because it was the only cruise that fit into all of our schedules. The cruise stopped in Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta, and then we had three days at sea. Cabo from the ship.
Land's End from the ship.

I loved this little marina with all of the "glass bottom boats".
Pelicans. Everywhere!
Freaking huge yacht/sailboat.
We have a family friend who operates a water taxi in Cabo. After a little bit of searching around the marina, we were able to find him. He took us to one of the most popular snorkeling places around - and it is true, it has been recommended to us by everyone that has been there!
Keep reading, though...
The Mariner of the Seas.
Russo found this star fish for us to check out - I don't think I've seen one so red before!
My siblings have never been snorkeling before and I will admit that this water was a little choppy for it to be an enjoyable first time. However, we got all geared up and headed out. Alyssa and I were some of the last to head out and before we even got three steps into the water she said, "Bri! Something stung me!" I said, "Lyss, really? You need to not be so paranoid. They wouldn't bring all these people here to snorkel if the water was dangerous." She understood and we kept walking into the water. Again she screamed, "BRI! Something bit me again!" By this time she had tears in her eyes and as a mean sister would I reiterrated, "Alyssa. Stop acting like this. There is nothing in the water. You probably have a cut on your leg and the salt water is burning it."

Well, we swam out to this rock where all of the fish were hanging out and that's when I saw it.

A jellyfish.

Headed right at me.

I couldn't get away fast enough and I watched it sting me between my armpit and bicep! Before I could even make sense of what happened I was freaking out. I told Lyss to hold on to me and that I would swim back to shore as fast as possible.

We got to shore and sure enough. Lyss was covered in jellyfish stings. Oh, it was terrible. I felt like the biggest and meanest thing that ever walked the earth. Of course I apologized profusely and used my Bear Grilles intuition and told her to pee into her hand and put it on her stings. She looked at me like, "Really?" And then we proceeded to do just that.

It didn't take long for everyone to come back in. All with jellyfish stings. Oh, we were mad. But then we laughed. What a terrible first snorkeling experience!

And as I mentioned before, we know plenty of people who have gone snorkeling there for years and years and have never ever had any problems with jellyfish!
What a mean sister I am!
Haha it took all of about 20 minutes to be done with that beach.
After snorkeling we went whale watching. It is amazing to me that humpbacks go from Alaska during the summer to Hawaii and Mexico during the winter. Incredible! We did see three or four whales and a marlin.
Land's End - every four years the tide goes out enough that you can walk through that arch!
Andre and I with Russo - we took this to send to Maria and Pasquel who live in Cabo. Russo said that he is good friends with their son.
Goodbye, Cabo!

1 comments:

mama said...

So sorry about the jelly fish on the beach we told you to go to. Glad you went out to Land's End on the water taxi --- a must in Cabo.
How did you find out the guy was a friend of Maria and Pasqual's son?