For our first "free" weekend during the summer aka no more RCT, our friend Annie invited us to her cabin in Sterling. Let me just preface all of this by saying that the forecast had been rain for the week prior (with none in sight) and rain for the weekend. Don't know who was making that forecast - you would not believe the weather we had!
Driving down the Turnagain Arm. [I feel so bad posting pictures like this because my family never saw weather like this and neither did Paul and Claudia. It really is nice sometimes!]
As we were driving, Andy saw the bore tide! This is by far the best bore I have seen.
So we pulled over and watched it for awhile. It was amazing. 
And then we saw kite surfers. Did I mention we saw beluga whales, as well?
I had to capture a picture of this. I have driven the highway that goes to Seward probably 120 times (okay, so I've been the passenger all those times), but I have never driven the road to Homer! There are only so many "main" roads in the state and I was excited to cross this one off my list!The cabin sits on the Kenai River which is probably one of the most famous rivers for salmon fishing.
When we arrived at the cabin, the first thing all the guys did was throw in their line.
Traditional campfire food.
So there is a main cabin and then a couple of bunkhouses. We stayed in this one and there was a toilet by the front door. Toilet = toilet seat with a bucket underneath the hole = dump and clean it in the woods. Yuck! I decided it would be easier to just skip the bucket and go straight to the woods haha.
We heard that the salmon fishing was better before sunrise, so we got up really early one morning. Not a single bite.
We went to a different part of the river after breakfast and I got one bite and Andy actually fought one for a minute, but lost it. I think the fish are there, I just don't have the patience for them. The reason I took this picture is because Andy was unsnagging his line and was in water that was past his waders! Totally defeats the purpose of waders, by the way. 
My stupid left wader has a leak somewhere and I can't find it. A large amount of water was dumped out right after the picture was taken.
After Andy filled his waders with water they were suctioned to him. It was hard to get them off! PS. The water underneath of him is what came out of my wader.
And the water coming out of his wader.
Is this place not beautiful? Kenai River, Sterling, Alaska.
Thank you to Lori and Annie for inviting us!
After we left the cabin we headed further down the Peninsula and stopped for a quick pic in Ninilchik. I am going here next year to go clamming...even though I don't like clams. It's all about the experience though, right?
Welcome to Homer!
Sunset from the Homer Spit.
The famous Salty Dawg Saloon.
We wanted to experience the Salty Dawg, but since we don't drink, we played a game a pool. It was fun because I'm a very "slop" pool player. And you're probably asking if we left a dollar on the wall. The answer is no, I'm too cheap.
Isn't it beautiful!? Ah, I love it. On a clear day you can see three volcanoes from here.
Since neither of us had any obligations on Monday morning, we decided we'd go to Homer for a night after staying at the cabin. Andy booked a night at the Roundhouse (a yurt). I have slept in yurts before and was a little skeptical, but this had a kitchen, running water, everything [minus tv - I mean, it had a tv, but no channels]. It even had the hardest bed we have ever slept on haha. We had homework for flight school, so we just hung out and did homework the whole time we were there. It really was fun, and actually, when we go to Homer again, I would totally consider booking this place but bringing along my own sleeping bag.
The inside of the Roundhouse.
Homer is known for eagles. We were awoken by this fellow screeching at about 5:00am right above the yurt. We left at almost 11:00am and he was still there. Eagles truly are magnificent. We had such a fun weekend and I can't wait to go to Homer again! Next time though, I will bring my sleeping bag. Ü

0 comments:
Post a Comment