Friday, October 16, 2009

Alaska State Fair.

As I mentioned last year, the State Fair here is kind of a big deal. We were fortunate enought to go to the fair twice this year! The first time we literally ran through with Paul and Claudia on our way back to Anchorage to take a test. Tyson joined us the second time around and we pretty much ate our way through the fair.
Our friend Jeremy lent Andy his new BMW-something bike to ride out to the fair.
To remind you, our fair is known for giant veggies:
This pumpkin was 500+ pounds!
I put my phone in some of these pictures so you have a size comparison. Those are some grande peas!
I usually wouldn't have been excited to go into the flower building, but the dahlias were sweet. The one above was my favorite; this picture does not do it justice.
Scarecrows in the 4-H barn.
The fair is the best place to people watch - check out this hula hooping grandma. Hubba hubba!
She stopped as soon as I took her picture haha.
Aside from the veggies, I love to go to the fair because it is the only time I get to sport my $3 fair shirt.
We sat through a silly tractor rodeo - I guess I thought it was going to be like bumper tractors, but it definitely wasn't.
We met up with Annie and Cam and the Yorks. Very fun! PS. Look at Amy ever-so-nonchalantly shoving creme puff in Cam's face!
I love to watch the lumberjack show, even if it is completely scripted and identical to last year's show. It was hilarious!


Kettle corn, creme puffs, potato bricks, cheese curds, peanut potatoes, cookies-the-size-of-your-head, ice cream, pork chops on a stick.
See? I told you we ate our way through the fair.

2 comments:

mama said...

Somehow this all looks familiar. Where's the potato brick --- and the dill pickle Cashews? I want to go to the Alaska State Fair again.

Laura and Bryan said...

Those huge vegetables are awesome! What a fun place to live. Glad you FINALLY posted some pictures...we started to miss you two.