Sunday, June 7, 2009

Turnagain Arm.

Saturday was the first day that Andy and I have had off all season. I let Ty know that we would be off and that if he could get work off on that day that he should so we could go explore.

Having a day off is so hard. One part of me wants to just stay home and chill and get caught up for the next tour (do laundry, pack, work on paperwork) while the other half of me wants to get out and do something! Of course, we almost always choose to go somewhere therefore we get home late, go to bed even later, don't do laundry (but instead pack a bag of dirty clothes to do on the road), which causes us to, in turn, throw stuff together in the morning crossing our fingers that we have all that we need.

The first stop for the day was the Saturday Market. I love going to this market; there is always something fun to do or see (last time it was the Beard Competition). We strolled around looking at furs and photographs and jewelry and Tupperware and don't forget all the samples we chowed down on including reindeer/buffalo/other kinds of sausage, birch syrup/caramels, fudge, waffles, and honey. It is so bad to go there on an empty stomach because you fill up not only on samples but on fair food = anything deep fried and greasy.

We parked by this RV and when we got out we heard a ton of barking and looked over and found that there were six or seven little dachsunds inside. I couldn't believe they were locked up in there! First off, they were unbelievably loud and annoying. Second of all, can you imagine the mess you would come back to in your trailer?
Em, I think you ought to invest in this cute little purse when you come up, it would really fit your style.

After the market we headed down the Turnagain Arm. Rumor has it that the glacial silt that runs through the ocean water here acts as a quick sand. It is said that you can't even walk on it or you will begin to be sucked in. Well, we chanced it and found out that it's not as dangerous as anyone makes it out to be, but we determined the parts that could potentially be scary.
Playing on the tracks...
...
Testing out the silt.
I still am in awe when I see the mountains touch the ocean!
We found some [dead] hooligan on the "beach". Hooligan are also known as candlefish and are so oily that you can put a wick in them and burn 'em for light! People also eat them...
...I just take pictures with them and then throw them back in the ocean.
You seriously can't beat the scenery.
It took several shots for Andy to get this picture. The silt on the sides is really only about eight inches tall, but it looks like it is a huge canyon!
We stopped by this place that did carvings and took a few pictures while Andy chatted it up with the owner (I would love to buy his land haha).
Guess how much this totem costs? $6,000!!

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

NIIIICE SHIRT!! And I need to come visit. :(

Laura and Bryan said...

That is some seriously beautiful stuff! I am glad you take so many pictures of it. Sounds like you two are headed for a lot of work this summer. I have an entire week off so it is 11 am and I am still in bed! AHHHH. There is only so much to do on a small island.

mama said...

You DOOO know how to have fun --- so just keep having it --- summer will be here and gone before you know it. Loved the pictures.

Saun and Wes said...

Did you try to chop down the largest tree with that fish? Was it a Herring? Looks like you are living the life. Alaska is so pretty. Keep the pics coming.