Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Guilty.

Today I have been feeling extremely guilty for not keeping in touch with ya'll. Our life is only getting busier! We have several phone calls to make or return and also emails to answer, but in the meantime, let me fill you in.

We are beginning something we refer to as "burning." Someone who burns does two tours in one week. One tour begins on a Friday and we pick them up from the ship (aka "post") and the second tour starts the day after our first is over and we take them to the ship on Friday (aka "pre"). Andy has already burned several times this season, but this is my first time and I am completely exhausted! Last week I had an all Indian group (all originally from Bombay, but many currently living in the U.S.) and they were great, BUT (you knew that was coming, huh?) they were all vegeterian. Not only were they vegeterian, in their religion, they do not eat anything from underground. This includes: onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, etc. AND, they do not eat eggs. I felt like our tour revolved around finding them FOOD, but as long as I could do that, I knew they would like me haha. You have to understand there are not very many food options in Denali or Talkeetna, but I managed to find them a pizza place where they could create their own pizza and a Mexican place where they could order plain rice. Our tour together was short, but something about them helped me to fall in love with them! One of my favorite gentlemen invited Andy and I to his home in Bombay where he says he will take us on a tour. Wouldn't that be an awesome vacation?

We are really enjoying the second group we picked up this week, full of a lot of single women. Not that that makes them more enjoyable, but they seem to be more social than when they are traveling as couples. Today we drove from Anchorage to Denali (5 1/2 hours) and tomorrow will head to Talkeetna (yahoo!) and then head to the ship on Friday.

The BEST part about this whole burning thing IS...are you ready for it? WE GET TO GO TO CHURCH THIS SUNDAY!! It has been a long time since we've had Sundays off and in case you can't tell, we are STOKED. Hopefully we'll be able to go for the rest of the season.

Well that's all for my nightly ramblings, just had a lot of things on my mind. I'm headed to bed and hopefully going to sleep off my headache. Goodnight!

3 comments:

mama said...

Great to hear from you two --- get some sleep --- we love and miss you
M & D
P & C

mama said...

I've told everyone those girl trips are fun --- so how were the tips with all women?

Saun and Wes said...

Oh, we miss you guys, but we are so happy that you are doing well. We think it is so neat what you guys are doing and it sounds like you are getting to meet some very interesting people. It would be so hard to be a vegetarian and not eat underground things. What is that based on anyway? Are potatoes of the devil?