Ugh.
Today was quite possibly the worst day of PA school to date.
We had to deliver bad news.
To a real patient (aka paid actor).
And be videotaped.
I wanted to cry.
Why?
Because my patient screamed profanities and shook and cried when I delivered the news.
I mean, how would you react if you were told you were HIV+?
I seriously did not know what to do.
My heart was racing a million miles a minute and my eyes just stared.
My proctor for this assignment was my advisor who hasn't yet believed me that I am introverted and I do consider myself shy.
Today? Oh, she saw it. Hands down.
Breaaaaaathe, Brianna.
The end.
Today was quite possibly the worst day of PA school to date.
We had to deliver bad news.
To a real patient (aka paid actor).
And be videotaped.
I wanted to cry.
Why?
Because my patient screamed profanities and shook and cried when I delivered the news.
I mean, how would you react if you were told you were HIV+?
I seriously did not know what to do.
My heart was racing a million miles a minute and my eyes just stared.
My proctor for this assignment was my advisor who hasn't yet believed me that I am introverted and I do consider myself shy.
Today? Oh, she saw it. Hands down.
Breaaaaaathe, Brianna.
The end.
2 comments:
I'm sorry --- WHY do they have to use profanity anyway? Was it really and actor? You keep it up --- you are doing great.
Hi Brianna:Wow!You had a REAL experience having to tell a patient bad news, and then having them use profanity, etc. When I was on the Customer Service line for an insurance company, my supervisor advised us to lower our voices and speak slowly to the upset client, which would usually calm them. This, ofcourse, was on the phone, but in real life I think I would put my arms around them!!Hang in there my dear. Love you, G'ma "nay"
Post a Comment