Friday, July 16, 2010

Pet Peeve.

I am in a Neurophysiology class and going crazy.

How do YOU say the number 90. Ninety?

How bout the word i-m-p-o-r-t-a-n-t?

If you know me well you probably recognize that I ENUNCIATE EVERYTHING. Thanks to my mother. But actually, I'm glad she taught me well. Andy makes fun of me all the time - I like to go hikinG, fishinG, runninG, and campinG. Annnnndy, on the other hand, likes to go hikin' and campin' and huntin'. Get it?

I cringe when people speak incorrectly (but we can still be friends if you don't enunciate!) And actually, I sometimes have a hard time understanding people who don't, even if other people can understand just fine. Example: "How's your winner?" Odd question, right? But I assumed this guy was asking about Andy. What he really said was, "How was your winter?" That is a more normal question.

Two words driving me UP the wall today were the ones I first wrote: ninety and important.

Both words have T's. T's go "tuh", yes? So instead of "niney" which isn't a freaking word, say nineTY. And important? It isn't impordunt.

E-NUN-CI-ATE.

Please and thank you.

2 comments:

HDVB said...

hhahaha, love it. I noticed you are also ALWAYS grammatically correct and have impeccable spelling :) I remember those days at Davis High in English class...who would have thought that they would have such a dramatic impact on your life ;) Oh and that influence from your Mother of course! My Mom was an English teacher so I know how you feel. "It's not 'She's taller than me.' It's 'She is taller than I AM!'" Man did I hear that a lot growing up :)

I'm sure there was plenty of incorrect things in the above paragraphs...but meh...I've grown accustomed to typing how I speak, that's what this electronic world has done to me!

Wow this is a LONG comment...sorry...basically, hope that the people that surround you will learn to E-N-U-N-C-I-A-T-E ;)

Anonymous said...

I was just thinkin how fun it would be to go to the moun-uns with you and I love working in
Lay-un. HAHAHAHAH. get it.. mountains and Layton?! Man I am funny.. but I am that friend.. who doesnt enunciate.. in fact I had a hard time even sayin the word enunciate.. but still love me.. mmmkay?