Thursday, January 15, 2009

Back in the Tundra.

Paula took this picture of us at the airport. We came home with a lot more than we went with! (Child not included.)

Well, we're back in Alaska! We arrived at about midnight last Tuesday and were in complete awe! As we flew over the Chugach Mountains and over the Turnagain Arm, neither of us could stop saying how absolutely beautiful it was outside. I really couldn't believe it. We arrived in about -10 degree weather, which was quite a bit colder than any weather we'd been in for the last few months, but we are used to it now...used to walking outside and having icicles instantly form in our nostrils. It's great! Wanna come visit? Ü The temperature never got any warmer than -9 last week, and there was one day when the temperature was recorded by the National Weather gurus in West Anchorage and it registered -17. Well, on that same day at the same time, the temperature was taken less than a mile from our house in East Anchorage and it said it was -31. Talk about COLD. Since Saturday-ish, we've had major heat waves. Like when it hit 20 degrees above, I wanted to stay outside all day, or today the thermometer in the truck says 46 and I think we should have a party. But lets face it. It's winter, it's Alaska, and it is still cold any way you look at it.

On my way to the library this morning, I slid and slid and slid. All parking lots and residential roads are pure ice (luckily this "heat" thing we've had going on has warmed up the main roads enough that they are slushy). I'm not sure if you can tell how icy the road is in this picture, but I really couldn't stop. Luckily I wasn't the one with the stop sign!

On another note, we're still unemployed, but have applied for several jobs. It's just a waiting game now and it is fun! We have all the time in the world to do whatever we want. Except for Tuesday and Thursday evenings when I have class. Yep, that's right. I'm in school again and it is WONDERFUL! I seriously love it. Speaking of, I've got to go to the bookstore before I go to my lab. Later, alligators.

1 comments:

mama said...

Wow --- that's SOME icy road for sure --- but glad your temps have warmed up. AND I do think that was as cute child with you at the airport --- he didn't want to tag along?
SO good to hear from you