Time is absolutely flying! I cannot believe the Iditarod has already come and gone! I am usually a fanatic, but this year I have been sick with some sort of cold/laryngitis that I can't kick and mostly have not cared about the Fur Rondy or Iditarod. In past years, we went to the ceremonial start of the Iditarod in downtown Anchorage, but never to the official restart in Willow. Now that we live outside of Anchorage and closer to Willow we figured we'd go see what the real deal entailed!
Unfortunately, the actual Iditarod start occurs on a Sunday. It isn't really a "Sunday activity", per se, but it happens only once a year and we are thinking that in the future we will offer Iditarod tours, so we decided we would go out for research purposes. We got out of Church and headed out to Willow (about a 30 minute drive). We had heard that parking could be difficult and that maybe we should take a shuttle so as not to worry about parking. Well, we were late enough (it started at 2 and we arrived at probably 3:15) that we snagged a front row parking spot in the main lot, right on the lake where it is held! Holla!
This picture is classic Alaskan to me. This was the entrance of the main parking lot right off the highway. There were snowmachines intermixed with people waiting to cross the road.


4 comments:
I tried to comment on my phone and it never works. What I was tryyying to ask is if Andy owns any other shirts? He seems to be wearing that one everywhere you go. :)
Also, are the dogs wearing socks? I just noticed this upon closer inspection!
I like your new header!
Andy is making me cold.
That is so cool that you got to be there and see the start!
floral&fudge
You two have WAY too much fun I think --- but you know --- there's fun to be had in Idaho and Utah also. Hint hint
Post a Comment