Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June 1.

Is it weird that I am a little sad that it is June already!? I seriously feel like my life is a blur and I just want it to slow down (which will not be happening in the near future, if ever). It's not like I have missed anything due to school, in fact, I feel like we have done just as much or more since I began last year. Ugh. If I sit and think about it long enough I get really disheartened.

On a more happy note, who has two days left of school before finals? THIS GIRL! Maybe that is why life feels like it is flying by. I really feel like I just got home from Seattle (which was last August) and that I have only been in school for a couple of months. The truth is, I will be halfway done with PA school in 8 days! Exciting and sad all at the same time. I feel like our class has, for the most part, become a pretty good group of friends over the last year. After finals, we have the summer off and will start back up in September with our rotations = we will hardly see one another until we graduate. There are certainly days where I have wanted to strangle a classmate or two, but such is life and it will be weird being on my "own" during rotations. I feel bad that I didn't update the blog more often about school. Oh well.

Summer has begun, that is for sure. It has been sunny and warm, like shorts and no jacket warm! Andy is tour directing instead of driving this year and has been training for the past couple of weeks. I am also going to be tour directing, but won't start until after finals. I am quite nervous to start as I have had no training this year and I didn't work last year! I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things just fine, but I definitely still have butterflies!

Brag moment for Andy: RCT has hired fewer TD's this year as numbers are low (meaning less people are going on landtours). Usually everyone is running tours by the start of the season, including new tour directors. Well, this year, they decided to start training later and to train into the season until there are enough tours for everyone (Andy's first tour is scheduled for the second weekend in June which is very late when it comes to tourism). Last week while Andy was training in Talkeetna, his boss called him and asked him to do a tour that week! I think she called on Wednesday night and the tour left Friday morning. He was happy to take the tour, of course. The reason this is a brag moment is because NO new TD's are touring on their own until the second week of June. In fact, they all have to shadow an experienced TD to learn the ropes before they go out on their own. Cole, our boss, knows that Andy is a rockstar and that he could manage a tour, even without training. This is not to say that he didn't have a freakout moment or two (he wouldn't call them that, but I would haha), but everything turned out awesome. I think his guests would tell you that he was AWESOME! I met up with his tour on Sunday night when they came to Anchorage and we talked til midnight. Holy cow! And the next morning some of them invited us to breakfast. VERY nice people. Oh, speaking of, they were from Durham! That is where my BFF lives = this world just keeps getting smaller.

I have an odd assortment of pictures that I am posting:

I went up to Talkeetna to meet Andy on his tour because the weather was awesome and I had nothing to do (okay, I can come up with a million things I SHOULD have been doing, but whatever). This truck hit a moose, or a moose hit the truck. Either way, this is why I am learning to hate moose. And this is why I will NEVER drive a car up here.

Andy has a new Don Sheldon obsession so we stopped to get a pic with his grave in Talkeenta.
(Aren't grave and funeral pictures a little awkward? Are you supposed to smile?)

Love it!

Jessica and I put on a bridal shower for AJ who is getting married in Kauai in a month. We invited all of the girls in our class and had a great time. I made these crowns and mustaches for one of our games. I am in purple, in the back on the left and AJ is in front of me (in case you care to know who she is).

Took this from the deck in Talkeetna before I went to bed last weekend. Beautiful!

So there is my update. It is all sorts of random, but I am focusing on studying instead.

Wishing you a happy summer!

2 comments:

mama said...

Andy IS a Rockstar --- I'm on his team for sure. I knew he could do it without a "hitch" --- and so nice that he was called to do a tour before he anticipated one --- and with so little training. We're all so proud. You two are going to miss this GIG when it's all said and done --- I know you will. Proud of both of you.

Riley and Chelsea said...

Brianna,
Love your pics! I am so excited for you that you are half way done with PA school! I just applied last week! I'm not really planning on getting in this go around because I still have another year until I get my bachelor's degree. Congrats on school!