Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Talkeetna with Andy.

Seriously this is ridiculous! I am blogging about things that happened during the summer! Those of you who live down South are probably laughing because you are still having summer temperatures and/or weather - we are supposed to get snow this week! So yes, blogging about things from the summer means they happened a long time ago!

When I got home from Seattle, Andy had several tours that allowed me to join him for a day or two. On this tour we spent time in Talkeetna. Our goal was to F-I-S-H. Let me just tell you how much summer school and tourism suck for fishing! We brought our gear and were able to figure out where the local fishing hole was. It is located near this railroad bridge. What is it with us walking railroad tracks? Gosh, I'm gonna get myself in trouble! Haha.

This is at the convergence of two rivers, but I don't know which. We will just say the Chulitna and Talkeetna Rivers.
There was already a local at the hole. Too bad the hole is big enough for one, maybe two, people to fish in. An outsider (us) definitely doesn't man up with a local, so we just scooted down a bit.
The fish did not exist as the river was too swift where we were throwing our line in.

We were able to stay out in this dry cabin (no running water). It was itty bitty and so was the bed. And I may or may not have gotten up in the middle of the night and been so afraid of bears that I peed right outside the door. :) In all seriousness, the neighbors (right behind this cabin) shot and killed a bear on their property this summer...
Love it!

Andy ditched me for his tour - how rude! He left town at about noon for Denali while I waited for the train that would arrive at 4.
It was so nice out that I just laid on the grass getting my suntan on!
Okay, I took this from the train between Talkeetna and Anchorage. How pretty is that!
This too...
And then I saw this in the sky. I don't want to bore you with details, so you can just click this link to read the story, but basically if you look reaaaaaaaaalllllly closely you can see that this helicopter is carrying the plane wreckage from the glacier! It was pretty neat.

1 comments:

mama said...

Beautiful pictures --- and you look very T-A-L-L in those fishing boots. I'm proud of you --- that you jump in and do all of these things --- AND fish.