Friday, March 6, 2009

I Need Your Sewing Expertise!

Ever since Andy and I have been married, he has made several comments about how many t-shirts I own. I will admit that I do have a ton. My mom and I used to joke about how every single club and activity had a t-shirt to go with it, especially at Southwest High School. During high school, I collected shirts from girl's camp, EFY, Student Council, different volleyball teams, band, and [I say this in shame] flagline. {Sidenote: I was so embarrassed to be part of the Colorguard (flagline) that I didn't tell anyone I was a flag twirler. My best friend knew, my family knew, and the girls on the team obviously knew. I thought it was going to be a fun experience, but apparently if you don't eat-drink-breathe flagline, it is just plain old miserable. After one marching season, I was so done with flagline. Anyway, one day at school (during marching season), I was wearing one of our flagline shirts and a kid-who-was-overly-obsessed-with-me-who-I-figured-knew-all-about-me asked, "Why in the world are you wearing a Colorguard shirt? Who gave that to you?" I just started laughing, totally embarrassed that I had been caught, and said, "Didn't you know I was on the flagline? " He responded, "You're kidding me. You're not like that." This I knew, but I wasn't going to be a quitter. I told him, "Well, they didn't just put my name on the shirt for fun; look for me at the next football game, I'm the girl with the high-water pants." Ah, good times, good times.}

That being said, we came up with a grand idea to make a blanket out of my shirts! I spent several hours cutting them into 14" squares and then a couple more hours sewing them together. Well, I've got them all together and am having a problem deciding what to back the "blanket" with. So the question to all of you seamstresses out there (even if you don't sew, your opinion will help me out) is what sort of fabric should I use? Flannel with some batting (don't know if that is the right spelling for it), fleece? Any thoughts? My only stipulation is I don't want to tie it. PLEASE HELP!


P.S. The fact that I am using my sewing skills should make my mamasita and grandma proud! Funny thing though, I had to read the manual to remember how to thread the bobbin... I think it has been awhile since I've sewn!

4 comments:

Drew Danger said...

Dang Gina!! Who is that sexy man in the photo, and where is that rockin place that he is standing? That looks like an awesome apartment!!! I wish I lived there, yellow couch gym blanket and all.

Saun and Wes said...

I say Fleece all the way.

Brad and Rachael Huntsman said...

I would do a striped flannel. Something that has all the colors on the front, or something with bright fun colors. I have been thinking about making a shirt blanket also. Yours turned out so cute!

mama said...

Well -- I think fleece or flannel and if you used fleece --- you might not even have to use batting. AND how are you going to quilt it? I only know how to tie --- so I'm not much help there. But I love the idea. In fact all of the "grandchildren" pillowcases are supposed to be cut up when they all grow up and made into a quilt for them --- so if case they didn't know that -- that's an announcement.
Brianna --- I'm impressed.
I also wondered who that guy was holding the blanket.