Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Adelaide.

My goodness, it is so hard to keep up on this! Be ready for an overload of blogs when we get home! We flew from Alice Springs to Adelaide on Tuesday morning and I seriously thought we might die. For any of you who follow the news, Qantas has had a few "incidents" in the last year or so, and I seriously thought we might be part of one! The flight was going lovely until we began our descent. I'm not even kidding, the plane was rocking and bumping and if I hadn't have had my seatbelt on, I would have hit my head on the ceiling. I was squeezing Andy's hand so hard and saying prayer after prayer after prayer. We were at that point where you are watching the runway outside anticipating the wheels touching the ground, and we weren't touching, weren't touching, and we were still all over the place. Finally we landed and it was surprisingly smooth. I don't think my heart began to pump again until I was out of that freakin' plane and down at baggage claim.
Anyway, we are now in Adelaide, safe and sound. We picked up a car at the airport and the mission memories began! For those of you who don't know, Andy served in the Australia Adelaide mission ten years ago, and that is part of the reason we are here. We hopped onto one of the main roads and Andy was instantly on auto pilot. We drove past several of his flats, the church, the temple, and a few members' houses. As we pulled up to the temple, the President was walking out the door, so we stopped to chat. Andy and President Howes actually recognized one another and we were able to get the local gossip about who is still around and who has moved, disappeared, divorced, married, etc. Here's my favorite part of the ten minutes we were there. President Howes says to us, "Do you have your recommends? I'll take you on a tour through the temple, if you'd like." Andy looks at me as I say, "Yup, got 'em in my wallet." So I walk over to the car to grab them and as I pull them out, I see the expiration, right? Andy's recommend expired last month! Haha, so I walk with our recommends over to Andy and President Howes and say, "Looks like we have a problem..." Oops!
The storytelling is going to have to pause here as we are at the library in Victor Harbour using free internet and I'm out of time. Hasta la vista, ya'll.

0 comments: